Monday, September 7, 2009

Off to Berlin

I’m on the train to Berlin! Once again, I am quite proud of myself for managing the system. I guess my few previous bumps were learning experiences. I was surprised how easy it was to get my rail pass validated as well. It didn’t take nearly as long as I had anticipated and so I was able to catch an earlier train – what a wonderful surprise. J

My last night in Hamburg was restful. I loved the bed I was able to sleep in and did not want to get up! When I left in the morning the kids had already left for school and Hannah, my host, was still not at home. I guess she returned from her trip sometime yesterday but then left again. So, I was not ever able to meet her, but I am thankful to her and her family for allowing me to stay with them.

On my walk to the train station this morning I realized that I had forgotten to share with you the embarrassing moment I had at the Art Museum (Kunsthalle) yesterday. After I had seen everything I went back to the coat check area to pick-up my bag but decided to use the restroom first. Well, I was tired and hadn’t eaten much all day so I just glanced at the restroom doors and went into what I thought was the women’s restroom. Well, as you can probably guess by now, I did not go into the women’s room but instead went into the men’s.

At first I did not notice that I was in the wrong place. My immediate thought was that of disappointment because all the stall doors were closed. I was thinking to myself that it is typical that there would be a line in the women’s room when all of a sudden a man appeared from around the corner (not sure if he was coming from a urinal or a sink). My mind first thought, “What are you doing in the women’s room?” It then immediately jumped to, “Oh no, I’m in the wrong place.” I just looked at him and said, “Oops!” and then turned around and left. No harm done really. Ironically when I went into the women’s room there was no one in there – I had my pick of stalls to use. Funny eh?

My train arrives in Berlin a little after 12:30. I can’t check into my hostel until 2, but I think that by the time I find a map and decide if I want to get a museum card and/or transportation card, as well as figure out the transportation system and get to the hostel, it will easily be 2. After I check in my next course of action will be to find lunch and I will probably try to go to a few museums before the day is out. There is a lot to do in Berlin, so I am sure I will stay busy this week. I am changing my plan a little bit and on Friday I will take the day trip to Wittenburg (where Luther nailed his 95 Thesis to the door of the church). Saturday I will head to Cologne – I’m still not sure if I’m couch surfing there or staying in a hostel. I guess that will be a project for tonight if I can get online! :-D

1 comment:

gail said...

Sounds like you are getting in the groove... except the bathroom thing :) Bet you will be careful about that from now on - I mean do your exploring, but not in the bathroom!

 
free counter