Thursday, September 10, 2009

What A Day

My day had a "slow" start to it. I got a lot done actually and feel like I have a handle on my "plan," but I didn't leave my hostel until 2pm, which means I got into town around 3pm. The museum I was going to did not turn into a "free museum" until 6pm, so I had three hours to kill. I planned to spend them aimlessly meandering about Oktoberfest, but when I arrived I discovered that it was really just one big tent - not quite the street fair we have in Fremont, or what I imagine it's like in Munich.

I sat on a park bench near the tent and wrote in my journal while I watched people take pictures with the fountain. There was a girl walking around with a "free hugs" sign and getting on my nerves. She would run up to people and just stand there with her arms wide open waiting for them to hug her. Or she'd run up behind someone talking a picture of other people posing with the fountain and give the picture taker bunny ears or something like that. A couple of times the person taking the picture (who had no idea she was behind him/her) would step back and step on the girl. They'd got surprised and apologize and she'd just stand there laughing and shove the sign in their face waiting like an idiot with her arms wide open for a hug, which most of the time she did not get.

Anyway, I wrote for awhile and then at 4:30 went into the tent. I sat and ordered a liter or beer (in a very large solid glass) and a typical bratwurst with sauerkraut. My beer was good, but the meal was not quite what I had expected. It was still pretty tasty, but each item was 7.50 Euro, so i spent 15 Euro (about $23) on dinner. Yikes! I think that's about as much as I've spent on food for the last week. I guess it was all for the experience though right? It was pretty entertaining to watch the people, but a little lame sitting there by myself with just Cliff to keep me company.

It was the first time I've felt a little out of place being alone. I haven't really felt it so far, but I did tonight. I'm pretty good about being on my own. In Seattle, I often go to movies alone, walk around downtown, or whatever, but I think a drinking festival is rather difficult to be comfortable at solo. Oh well. I did get to see a lady yodel and play Amazing Grace with cowbells, yes the cure of the Bavarian Fever is more cowbell! :) I took some video, but I'll have to wait to upload it when the internet functions for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Around 6 o'clock I'd had enough of Oktoberfest and so I headed to the Altes Museum (just a few blocks away). That museum, and all the others in the area, was supposed to be free on Thursdays from 6pm to 10pm. Well, apparently that isn't the case at the moment becasue they have a "special exhibit. Fortunately, I got a student discount, but still had to pay 4 Euro to walk around a bunch of Greek pottery and some Roman sculptures. I'm not downplaying the importance or value of those things, but considering the fact that I will be in Greece and can see those sorts of things there, it just seems silly to see them in Germany. The only reason I really paid the fee for the museum was to see the bust of Queen Nefertiti. Basically I got my picture and then left. I was in the museum about 20 minutes total I think.

After that I went back to the U-Bah and to my hostel, and here I am now, updating you all. I'll probably head to bed soon so that I can get up early for my train ride to Wittenberg in the morning. I'm excited to see the sights there but have a feeling I'll be a little frustrated with how touristy it is. I also need to do a little bit of laundry tonight so that I have clean clothes to wear. That's probably important right? Well, until tomorrow folks. Enjoy your afternoons and evenings!

No comments:

 
free counter