Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Prague

When I got off the train in Prague yesterday I was a little underwhelmed by the city. The train station was difficult to navigate. I had to search rather hard to find an ATM, there were no maps available, and finding my tram was not the easiest thing I've ever done. I did however make it to my hostel and managed to check-in without too much trouble. I was able to get a map at my hostel and do a little research to figure out my plan for today.

This morning I let myself sleep in a bit and then went to a free walking tour in the center of the old town. I really enjoyed the walking tour. They gave me a lot of information, as always, and I learned quite a bit about this city and the Czech Republic. I met a girl named Zoe from Australia and after the tour we went to the Jewish Museum together. I saw quite a bit of town and took a few pictures.

One thing that has been a bit frustrating for me is that you are not allowed to take pictures inside many of the buildings here - which is a change from the places I have been in Germany and Denmark. So many of the churches and buildings are intricate and beautiful inside but all I have are my memories, sadly no pictures. I spent a bit of time walking around town and feel like I know my way around a bit. After today I am a bit more impressed with Prague and the Czech people in general, especially after learning about a bit of their history.

I found a grocery store and was able to buy a bit of food for pretty cheap. I am a fan of that.

I'm now back in my hostel and while last night I had the room to myself, tonight I am sharing it with with 5 guys. Two are from Australia, one from England, and two from Spain. They are all friends and are having a great time with each other. They're all very friendly and I don't feel unsafe or anything - it kind of feels like having 5 brothers in the same room with me. It's pretty funny. The next few nights should be interesting as they are going to be here the entire time as well.

I'm off to bed in a few minutes now and then up early in the morning to visit the Prague castle and church at the top of the hill. Should be a good day. I can't believe tomorrow is October already! Rabbit rabbit to my family. :)

No comments:

 
free counter